Thursday, June 23, 2011

Strawberry Smoothies!

Today, I decided to have a go at the recipe for strawberry smoothies on skagitsun.com. It turned out great! The recipe calls for two cups frozen strawberries (about one pint's worth), two frozen bananas, a half-cup orange juice, and a half-cup yogurt. Here are the ingredients:
Orange juice: $2.99
Yogurt (2): $2.28
Bananas: $0.49
Strawberries: about $4.00. The variety is Honeyoye, our first June-bearing of the season.
Total: $9.76

 I bought two kinds of yogurt, greek and regular with vanilla bean flavoring, because I was not sure whether I wanted plain or vanilla in the smoothie. After tasting both, I decided on the greek yogurt because it was nice and thick, which I thought would add to the fruit in the smoothie. Also, I wanted to showcase the flavor of the fruit .
 My cat Chubbo was hanging around, so I decided that she can be considered a helper.
I did not have a regular blender at home, but the Kitchen Aid served me well!
 In action! Blending took about 3-4 minutes
 I decided to stop the blender once the consistency was nice and chunky. I wanted to taste the bits of banana and strawberry.
Yum yum yum! The strawberry smoothies turned out really well. I've got enough for two large glasses, and I already feel more energetic to do the Queen Anne Farmers Market today. See you all next week! I think I'll do the strawberry salad recipe with poppyseed dressing. Thanks for reading, and please send me any good berry recipes you know! heather@skagitsun.com

No comments:

Post a Comment